- 2018 Is the world getting better or worse? A look at the numbers (Steven Pinker at TED2018)
- 2018-02-12 Was 2017 the Worst Year Ever? (behavioralscientist.org)
- 2018-01-06 Why 2017 Was the Best Year in Human History (nytimes.com)
- 2017-07-28 Is the world really better than ever? (theguardian.com) and audio
- 2016-02-14 Why I Choose Optimism Over Despair Noam Chomsky interviewed by C.J. Polychroniou
We have two choices. We can be pessimistic, give up, and help ensure that the worst will happen. Or we can be optimistic, grasp the opportunities that surely exist, and maybe help make the world a better place. Not much of a choice.
- 2016-12-30 2016 has been one of the greatest years ever for humanity (spectator.co.uk)
- 2016-09-01 Progress Ten Reasons to Look Forward to the Future (Johan Norberg)
- 2011 Sapiens – A Brief History of Mankind chapter 19
THE LAST 500 YEARS HAVE WITNESSED A breathtaking series of revolutions. The earth has been united into a single ecological and historical sphere. The economy has grown exponentially, and humankind today enjoys the kind of wealth that used to be the stuff of fairy tales. Science and the Industrial Revolution have given
humankind superhuman powers and practically limitless energy. The social order has been completely transformed, as have politics, daily life and human psychology.
- 2009-10-24 The Psychology of Optimism and Pessimism: Theories and Research Findings (positivepsychology.org.uk)
- 2009-08-11 Always look on the bright side of life … (theguardian.com)
You won’t only feel better, you might get to live longer too, if the latest research is to be believed
- Optimists seem to have it made (vox.com) 3 min 6 sec